There are many wonderful experiences practicing yoga. In the beginning, I would encourage you to try a yoga class and if you feel discouraged or that yoga isn’t right for you, try another instructor and a different class format.
Some of my clients want private sessions until they feel comfortable enough with their bodies and minds to join a studio class. They feel like they don’t know enough about yoga or aren’t physically able to perform in the group class setting and need some individual instruction.
This is my intention for you:
- you feel successful when you finish a session
- you begin to understand your body and how it works
- you have an understanding of the poses (asana) and what they are called
- you understand that you are working with the body you have today and what you can do is good enough
- you realize that passing judgment on yourself and your capabilities produces negative results
- you acknowledge that through repetition, you make progress
- you begin to get to know a little bit more about yourself each time you get on the mat
Research has indicated the many benefits of yoga –
- increase mobility
- improve sleep quality
- boost fitness level
- improve overall health, posture, flexibility, strength, balance, and endurance
- cultivate mindfulness and coping strategies for stress
- increase relaxation
- lower heart rate and blood pressure
- reduce anxiety and help relieve depression
Take it one step at a time. Learn about your breath and meditation through yoga.
Please contact me with questions!